Thursday, September 11, 2008

Garagesale Gems

A few weekends ago I was in Southern Ontario visiting my cousin and her family.
Garages sales are a big thing there, so we spent a few hours driving around on the Saturday, pulling into any garage sale that looked interesting.
While most stops yielded a few curiosities, I walked away from one in particular with some very interesting finds.
Its reassuring to know that it's still possible to have fun for less than $10.


Fundamentals of Layout F. H. Wills
For Newspaper and Magazine Advertising, For Page Design of Publications and Brochures.
Copyright 1965.
$2





hmp!



"Every layout man must be able to hand letter Roman type in its basic form as skeleton type, for it is the foundation of all layout work. Begin with a lettering pen and change later to a pencil or pointed pen when you have learned how to make the character."



At the same sale I found a cardboard fruit basket full of old wooden blocks. There were also a few worn dominoes. Very wabi sabi.








Not pictured: I have a thing for vintage packaging, and I found a reproduction of an old Maxwell House coffee tin design. It's currently one of the eclectic pieces decorating my patent's place.

No comments: